Maintaining an electronic title to your vehicle eliminates the risk of losing it and having to pay title fees to obtain a duplicate. It is also an effective fraud deterrent because potential thieves will not have access to your title.
You do not need to request a paper title prior to trading your vehicle with a Florida dealership.
To get a copy of your electronic title, follow these guidelines:
- Valid photo identification required (U. S. driver license or valid passport)
- Owner listed on the title must be present, or
- Individuals other than the owner must have authorization. Click here for the Power of Attorney (Form HSMV 82053).
- If title owner is a business, a letter on company letterhead signed by a company official signifying who is authorized to pick up title must be provided. The letter must be less than one year old
- Owners may verify the current title (electronic or printed) and lien status at https://services.flhsmv.gov/MVCheckWeb/. At the bottom left-hand corner, the row above “brands” will be marked Paper Title or Electronic Title.