Will I have to take a photo when I get my driver license or identification card?

Yes, when you visit our office, be prepared to have your photo taken and your vision checked. If corrected lenses are required, please have them with you.

What should I do if I need special accommodations?

If you need special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please contact our office at ectc@escambiataxcollector.com or at (850) 438-6500 ext. 3252 with your request.

How do I apply for and receive a Hazardous Materials Endorsement?

Before applying for a hazardous materials endorsement, you should review the Entry-Level Driver Training requirements (ELDT). Once you have completed the ELDT prerequisites, you must successfully complete the written test for the Hazardous Materials Endorsement. Once successfully completed, you have 30 days to complete fingerprinting and background check in the same office of successful written exam completion. NOTE: Once the Hazmat exam is over 30 days old, you must retake the written exam. Commercial Driver License with a hazmat endorsement is only valid for four years. In order to renew or maintain your hazardous materials endorsement, you must retake written exam and complete background check and fingerprinting. Processing of fingerprints and background check can take up to 60 days. You may track…

How do I complete the skills testing for my CDL?

After you have completed your written test requirements and obtained your DOT medical card, you may have your CDL permit issued. You must wait 14 days after the issuance of your permit to complete your skills testing. At this time, CDL permits are valid for 180 days from issuance. A maximum of 2 CDL permits can be issued to a customer without additional testing.

Approved Testing Providers can be located at flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/commercial-motor-vehicle-drivers/ through the commercial driver heading.

Who has to maintain a valid medical card?

Currently the state of Florida and the federal government requires the holder of a commercial driver license to self-certify in the category in which they medically qualify. You can find the categories in our CDL Medical Card Inter or Intra Category A thru D PDF.

NOTE: If you do not qualify for a medical exemption for the Department of Transportation medical card you must present a valid medical card each time you visit the Escambia County Tax Collector’s office. This includes the issuance of your permit for skills testing, replacements, and renewals.

How do I apply for a Commercial Driver License (CDL)?

Applicants for a CDL should consider this a professional driver license that will require additional testing beyond what is required for a Class E driver license. Currently offices in the Escambia County have extremely limited paper copies of the CDL handbook. You may locate a digital copy or request a book at www.flhsmv.gov. In order to obtain a Florida Commercial Driver License you must be a Florida resident with a Florida residential address. If you are unable to comply with the residency rules you must contact the state in which you are a resident. Class A CDL: Requires passing the written general knowledge, air brakes and combination exams.* Class B CDL: Requires passing the written general knowledge and air brakes exam,…

I am a non-us citizen and I wish to obtain a Florida driver license or ID card. What do I need to bring?

All driver license and identification card applicants must present proof of lawful presence. A list of acceptable documents can be found in our Foreign National Real ID PDF.

If you currently hold a driver license from any other state or country, written and skills testing may be honored. Additional testing may be required. Please see issuing Escambia County Tax Collector’s office for further information.

NOTE: At this time, Non-US Citizen services are limited to Escambia County Florida residents ONLY.

How can I renew, replace, or extend the expiration date of my Florida driver license if I am an active duty military Florida resident and I am stationed outside of Florida?

You may visit flhsmv.gov for assistance in replacing or renewing. You will be able to update your mailing address to ensure the delivery of your new driver license. In the event of needing an extension of the expiration date or if your require assistance replacing or renewing your Florida driver license you may contact DHMSV directly at (850) 617-2000.

What if I am 100% Service-Connected Disabled?

You may present a 100% service connected disabled card or letterhead statement from Veterans Affairs indicating your permanent disability. This may waive your driver license or identification card issuance fees.

NOTE: You must have all paper documentation, electronic documentation is not accepted at this time.

What if I am a veteran?

If you are an honorably discharged US military veteran you may present proof of honorable discharge to have a veteran designation added to your Florida driver license or ID card. In addition to the license fees, a $1 endorsement fee will be assessed. Proof of honorable discharge can be a DD-214 or retired military ID card. If you are unable to locate your DD-214 you may visit archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ to request information on a duplicate DD-214.

What do I need to complete to obtain my Class E learner permit?

Please visit our First Time Driver page to find these requirements.

What are the qualifications for a reduced fee ID card?

Some individuals may qualify for issuance of a reduced fee ID card with proof of enrollment in the Department of Children and Families’ Automated Community Connection to Economic Self Sufficiency (ACCESS) Florida Benefits Program. Documents accepted for a customer over the age of 18 can include a valid Access Card (with an expiration date) with customer’s name displayed on the front or benefits letter (with expiration dates) dated within the past 12 months. If the customer is under the age of 18 and qualifies under parent’s eligibility, the parent will need to be present with photo identification and benefits letter naming them as a dependent. The address displayed on the identification card will correspond with the address listed on the parent’s…

Can my child be issued a Florida identification card?

Yes, children five years or older may have an identification card issued. Children under the age of five can be issued an identification card if it is required for a handicap parking placard. You will need to present all documents required under the Real-ID act.

Can I have an ID card and a valid driver’s license at the same time?

No. Florida law requires the surrender of all licenses or identification cards in your possession to be issued a new driver license or identification card. Issuance of an ID card with a current valid driver license from any state will void or cancel the issuance of the driver license.

My driver license may be suspended. How can I check the status of my driver license?

You can complete an online driver license check by going to flhsmv.gov, clicking on the driver license or ID card tab and clicking on driver license & ID tracking. You will need to have your driver license number and will be required to answer a few security questions.

How can I have the motorcycle endorsement added to my Driver license?

First-time applicants will be required to complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved course. A list of providers can be found on the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website. Once you have completed the course you will need to present the completion card as well as any other required Real ID documents if you’re not already compliant.

If you currently hold an out-of-state driver license that displays your motorcycle endorsement we may be able to reciprocate your endorsement. Alabama is currently the only state we do not reciprocate the motorcycle endorsement.

A motorcycle endorsement is $7.00 plus any applicable license fees.

For more information, please see the FHSMV Motorcycle Handbook.

What if my name has changed? How long do I have to change my driver license or identification card?

If you have legally changed your name you must first update your name with the Social Security Administration. After 24 to 48 hours you may visit our office for assistance. If you are currently Real ID compliant, you will need to provided your certified name change documents (marriage certificate, court order, etc.) and documentation of name change with the Social Security Administration to the Escambia County Tax Collector for the transaction. If you’re not Real ID compliant on your current driver license or identification card you will need to present all Real-ID documentation required to have it issued. This may require several documents to provide a continuous link between your birth name and current name. We are unable to accept church marriage certificates…

What if I have moved? How long do I have to make that change on my Florida driver license or identification card?

If you have relocated or changed your name you are allowed 30 days to change what is displayed on your driver license or identification card. If you are already Real ID compliant and changing your address, you will need to present two documents with your new residential address listed (deed, utility hook-up or mail you have received, etc). If you’re not Real ID compliant on your current driver license or identification card you will need to present all Real ID-required documentation to have your driver’s license or identification card issued.

I have heard the Escambia County Tax Collector’s office can issue Florida birth certificates. Is that true?

Yes, that is correct. In partnership with the Escambia County Health Department, our offices can provide copies of Florida birth records. The birth certificate can be obtained by either parent listed on the birth certificate or the registrant, if over 18. If you need to make any changes or amendments to your Florida birth certificate, you must contact the State Office of Vital Statistics in Jacksonville, Florida at (904) 359-6900, extension 9005. If you have any questions or need further information concerning birth certificates you may visit or contact the Escambia County Health Department, 1295 W. Fairfield Drive, Pensacola, Florida 32501 – (850) 595-6500. If we are able to assist you in obtaining the certified birth certificate, you will need to present…

What documents are required to obtain a Florida Driver license or identification card (original, replacement, and renewal)?

Proof of Identity Effective January 1, 2010, Florida law requires applicants for a driver license or identification card to present the following identification documents: A certified birth certificate, valid US Passport, US Passport Card, original Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship or Report of Birth Abroad NOTE: No photocopies or hospital certificates will be accepted! AND Name Change Documents Either a US Passport in current name OR all (marriage, divorce, adoption, legal name change, etc.), certified documents must be presented at the time of application (may require more than one and must show a continuous link from birth name to current legal name) NOTE: Church marriage documents are not acceptable. Divorce decree must link maiden name to be acceptable. In most cases…