For Commercial Driver License (CDL) Resources, including residential address requirements, click here.
Did you know that you can update the address on your Real ID-compliant driver license or identification card or replace a lost or stolen Real ID-compliant credential online? Click here to renew or replace online.
Please bring the following documents for issuance of a Real ID-compliant Florida Driver License or Identification Card. Be prepared to have your photo taken and your vision checked. If corrected lenses are required, please have them with you.
- Certified U.S. birth certificate or valid U.S. passport in current name
- If customer’s name has changed since birth, we need certified proof of legal name change(s) (certified marriage certificate, certified court order, etc). Documents must link birth record to current name.
- Social Security card or acceptable proof of number
- Social Security name change must be made at least 24 hours prior to visiting our office
- Florida residential address requirements (no post office box)
- Two proofs of current Florida residential address in your name
- If using two proofs of current Florida residential address in another person’s name, you must prove a family connection with a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or similar documentation
- If no family connection can be established with documents presented, a Shared Residence Certification of Address Form must be submitted along with two proofs of residential address from another person. Follow the instructions on the form for acceptable residential proof.
- Additional information on Real ID 2020 proof of residential address
- Previous license if not lost or destroyed
- See section 10 of the Florida Driver Handbook for additional license requirements
- Military members and veterans should present a copy of their DD-214, which shows their honorable discharge from active duty, to receive a veteran designation.
Please be aware the documents must be certified originals, photocopies of the documents cannot be accepted. Hospital birth certificates are not considered a certified document and will not be accepted.
For an extensive list of accepted documents click here. Customers who do not have original or certified documents may need to plan for additional time and fees in order to obtain documents from the issuing authority. For information on help obtaining original or certified documents, click here.
Non-U.S. citizens must provide proof of lawful presence. Click here for additional information required to renew, replace, or apply for a Florida driver license or identification card.
During your transaction, you will be asked to provide emergency contact information that will allow law enforcement authorities nationwide to contact designated family or friends if an emergency arises. If you already have your driver license or identification card and would like to enter your emergency contact information now, click here.
If you plan on making application for voter registration when you get your license, you should know that Florida is a closed primary state. Only voters who are registered members of political parties may vote for respective party candidates or nominees for an office in a primary election, including a presidential preference primary election. Any voter application with party designation or party change must be done 29 days before an election.
Note: REAL ID-compliant cards have a gold star on them. If you are changing the name on a REAL ID compliant card, you will need to provide name change documents (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree). If you are visiting an office for a driver license or identification card transaction, bring proof of address with you even if you have not moved since your last transaction.
*Cash, check, debit and credit cards are accepted for these transactions. Please click here for our payment policy. Click here for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles fee schedule. A $6.25 fee is added to all fees listed.