Scott Lunsford, Escambia County Tax Collector, announced the collection of the 2020 real estate and tangible personal property taxes begins November 1. This year’s rolls include 179,704 accounts totaling over $320 million. Bills will be delivered to the post office on October 30 for mailing.
Chapter 197.162, Florida Statutes provides discounts for early payments as follows:
- November payments are discounted four percent
- December payments are discounted three percent
- January payments are discounted two percent
- February payments are discounted one percent
- March payments receive no discount, and the gross amount is due by close of business on March 31, 2021. Any payment made April 1 and after is considered delinquent and will be assessed a penalty.
When mailed, discounts are determined by postmark of payment. When a discount period ends on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the discount period will be extended to the next business day for online payments or walk-in customers.
Many options are available:
- online payment center at EscambiaTaxCollector.com – Pay by eCheck. There is never an extra fee.
- 24–hour drop box
- phone – please call 438-6500, ext. 3252
In addition, help is available for those taxpayers who may need to make partial payments. If a property owner decides to make partial payments, the following information applies:
- Property owner must submit an application (found on the back of the tax bill, online at EscambiaTaxCollector.com or available at the tax collector’s office) with initial partial payment.
- Partial payments are accepted for current year taxes only between November 1 and March 31.
- No discount allowed for partial payments.
- A $10 processing fee is deducted from each partial payment.
- Partial payments are not accepted after March 31, and any remaining balance as of April 1 is delinquent and subject to all applicable penalties and fees.
Lunsford also encourages taxpayers to take advantage of the Tax Payment Installment Plan. By utilizing this plan, taxpayers make four quarterly payments instead of one lump sum payment. Each quarterly bill will receive a different discount for early payment as prescribed by Florida Statutes. The quarterly payments are due by the last day of June, September, December and March. The Installment Payment Plan application deadline for 2021 property taxes is April 30, 2021.
Property owners can apply online at EscambiaTaxCollector.com.
Lunsford said, “The installment program not only helps ease the financial burden on taxpayers by allowing them to spread out the payments, it also provides a discount for making payments on time.”
Find more information on the installment plan by clicking here.
Tax revenue is generated for the various taxing authorities and is approximated as follows:
- Escambia County Board of County Commissioners – $151 million
- District School Board – $129 million
- City of Pensacola – $21.5 million
- Sheriff MSTU – $9.5 million
- Library MSTU – $7 million
- Northwest Florida Water Management – $628,000
- Downtown Improvement Board – $620,500
- Town of Century – $39,000
Additionally, MSBU collections include:
- County Fire Protection – $17.4 million
- City Stormwater – $2.8 million
- Other MSBUs – $3.4 million
If you do not receive your tax bill by November 12, please visit our website, EscambiaTaxCollector.com for the amount due or to print a copy. You can also call us at 438-6500, ext. 3252.
Citizens are encouraged to visit our virtual office at EscambiaTaxCollector.com to conduct most tax collector business 24 hours a day. Our online services allow customers to pay their taxes, search records, renew vehicle and vessel registrations and many other services. Customers who do need to visit our offices can join the line online at EscambiaTaxCollector.com and manage their time their way. Citizens select an office location and type of service, receive a message with approximate service time and then continue their regular activities until the service time approaches.
To check the status of your taxes or to pay online, click here.
Taxpayers are encouraged to contact us by email ectc@EscambiaTaxCollector.com or by phone with any questions.