Proof of Identity

Effective January 1, 2010, Florida law requires applicants for a driver license or identification card to present the following identification documents:

  • A certified birth certificate, valid US Passport, US Passport Card, original Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship or Report of Birth Abroad
    • NOTE: No photocopies or hospital certificates will be accepted!

AND Name Change Documents

  • Either a US Passport in current name OR all (marriage, divorce, adoption, legal name change, etc.), certified documents must be presented at the time of application (may require more than one and must show a continuous link from birth name to current legal name)
    • NOTE: Church marriage documents are not acceptable. Divorce decree must link maiden name to be acceptable. In most cases a divorce decree will not meet the requirements for name change/link. 

AND Proof of Residence

  • Two proofs of Florida residential address, from two different sources, that show the same address (current utility bill, lease, car payment book, etc.).
    • NOTE: Unsolicited/junk mail addressed to occupant is not acceptable for proof of address

 AND Proof of Social Security Number

  • An original Social Security card or acceptable proof of Social Security number. Full Social Security number must appear on the document. Social Security records must match name being used before issuance of a Florida driver license or identification card. Contact the Social Security Administration to update your record at least 24 hours before making application for a driver license or identification card.
    • NOTE: Social Security number is collected pursuant to Chapter 322, Florida Statutes

Acceptable Identity Documents

A complete list of acceptable identification and proof of Social Security documents are available online here or by calling the State DMV office at (850) 617-2000. No photocopies will be accepted. For information regarding certified copies of all identification documents, please contact the issuing agency.