Skills Testing Prerequisite
Applicants with a Commercial Learner Permit issued on or after February 7, 2022, must successfully complete a mandatory theory (knowledge) and behind-the-wheel (BTW) training program prior to taking the CDL skills testing. This includes:
- Obtaining a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
- Upgrading an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
- Obtaining a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.
- Applicants with a CLP issued prior to February 7, 2022 who obtain a CDL before the CLP expires are not subject to the ELDT requirements.
- Individuals who hold a valid CDL, including those with an S, P, or H endorsement, are not required to complete additional ELDT training unless upgrading or adding endorsements as indicated above.
- Any individual who meets one of the exceptions for taking a skills test is also exempt from the ELDT requirements.
Hazardous Materials Prerequisite
Applicants for a hazardous materials (H) endorsement must complete mandatory theory training provided by a training provider listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry prior to taking the knowledge test for the H endorsement.