Vessels with a Non-Florida Title or Registration

Many states do not require vessels to be titled. Proof of ownership on a used vessel from a non-title state is the vessel registration. A notarized bill of sale is required with the registration to transfer ownership. If a title is available, the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles HSMV Form 82040 form (title application form) must be completed for processing. If vessel built after 1972 has a partial HIN, a pencil tracing of the vessel’s hull number should be submitted. Sales tax will be collected, if applicable.


A non-resident boater with a valid out-of-state registration certificate may use his/her vessel in Florida waters for 90 days without applying for a Florida registration. This law applies to pleasure boats only. If the non-resident intends to use the craft in Florida longer than 90 days, the boat must be registered with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, which is processed at the tax collector’s office.

Print Back to Top