Some files require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.
Business Tax Receipts
BUSINESS TAX RECEIPT
Businesses can renew their business tax receipts (BTR) online. You will need your BTR account number from your renewal card. The annual renewal fee is $26.25. (A convenience fee is charged by the service provider.)
Renew your BTR online.
BTRs are permits for conducting business within Escambia County and are administered through the local tax collector’s office. BTRs are renewable during July, August, and September of each year, with September 30 marked as the expiration date of each. Fees for these BTRs are $26.25 annually. Businesses that do not maintain a current Escambia County BTR are subject to a $250.00 fine by the tax collector.
While the requirement for obtaining most BTRs is to fill out a simple application, there are sometimes other conditions of City, County, State, or Federal agencies to be met before a receipt can be issued. The following information should be helpful in determining how to start a business in Escambia County.
- Businesses located in Escambia County (whether inside or outside the city limits) need an Escambia County BTR obtained from the tax collector.
- Businesses located within the City of Pensacola limits require a city BTR as well as an Escambia County BTR. If the nature of the business takes owners or employees inside the city limits to conduct business, even though the business establishment is in the county, it may be necessary to obtain a city BTR also. Information on the city BTR is available at:
City Business Tax Receipt Department
City Hall, Fourth Floor
Government and Spring Streets
P.O. Box 12910
Pensacola, FL 32521
- Sales and tax exemption numbers are acquired from:
Florida Department of Revenue
3670 North “L” Street, Building C
Pensacola, FL 32505
- Certain businesses require inspection before a BTR can be issued in Escambia County.
The following businesses are inspected by the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Hotels and Restaurants, Panama City Beach District #6.
- Food Concessions
- Mobile Food Units
The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services inspects the following:
- Grocery Stores
- Food Processing Plants
- Bottling Plants
- Ice Plants
- Seafood Vendors
- Juice/Sno-Cone Concessions
Dental labs are approved by the DPR Board of Dentistry Fax: 850-488-6015
- Contracting businesses should check with the Escambia County Construction Industry Competency Board to see if a test is required for their particular type of contracting. For information, contact:
Escambia County Construction Industry Competency Board
3363 West Park Place
Pensacola, FL 32505
- Some businesses require State licenses. For information regarding Department of Professional Regulation licensing and other Florida State requirements, call the local State information number.
- Information on how to establish a corporation is available from:
Secretary of State
Corporation Division (How to File)
Tallahassee, FL 32304
- Income tax and employer identification number may be obtained from:
Internal Revenue Service
7180 North 9th Avenue
Pensacola, FL 32504
- Any business owner operating under a name other than his given legal name must register for a fictitious business name. Contact:
Fictitious Name Registration
P.O. Box 6327
Tallahassee, FL 32314
- Some businesses may need to obtain a Solid Waste Management Permit. For information, contact:
Solid Waste Management
13009 Beulah Road
Cantonment, FL 32533
- For an alcoholic beverage license, apply to:
Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco
4900 Bayou Blvd., Ste. 210
Pensacola, FL 32503-2532
In addition to the information provided here, an excellent source of new business information is the Small Business Development Center. Consulting services and workshops are available, and most are free. For information contact:
UWF Small Business Development Center (UWF SBDC)
9999 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL 32514