May is Bicycle Safety Month
May is Bicycle Safety Month, but bike safety must be observed every day!
BEING A "ROLL MODEL" MEANS
- Riding and Driving Focused -- never distracted.
- Riding and Driving Prepared -- always expect the unexpected.
- Putting Safety First -- we never know when a crash will occur, regardless of skill level or age; always wear a bicycle helmet when on a bicycle and a seat belt when in a car.
- Following the Rules of the Road -- a bicyclist is considered a vehicle on the road with all the rights on the roadway and responsibilities of motorized traffic.
- Expecting law enforcement officers to monitor and address unsafe behaviors between motorists and bicyclists that put bicyclists at risk.
- Sharing the Road -- both vehicle drivers (motorist and bicyclist) should look out for one another and show mutual respect.