ABOUT THE OFFICE AND JANET HOLLEY
Janet Holley, as tax collector, is responsible for the collection and distribution of a variety of taxes and fees. She is a constitutional officer and a fee officer; her office is funded by the fees earned for services provided. The tax collector’s office has a cash flow of $600 million. Janet Holley collects taxes for the District School Board, Board of County Commissioners, City of Pensacola, Town of Century, Sheriff, Downtown Improvement Board, Northwest Florida Water Management District, Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, and Department of Revenue.
The tax collector’s office issues driver licenses and identification cards, registrations and titles for vehicles and vessels, sells hunting and fishing licenses and business tax receipts, collects real estate and tangible personal property taxes, and issues Going Out of Business Permits.
With an annual budget of $7 million, Janet Holley operates three offices with a staff of 100 full-time employees.
- Born July 29, 1951, in Chillicothe, Ohio
- Resides in the City of Pensacola
- One son, Ryan Holley, served eight years in the US Army with two tours in the Middle East
- Certified Florida Collector (CFC)
- Certified Florida Collector Assistant (was first person in office to earn this designation)
- Licensed Real Estate Sales Person
- Florida State University – Attended 1969 to 1971
- Rickards High School, Tallahassee, Florida – Graduated 1969, with honors
- Escambia County Tax Collector – appointed by Governor Lawton Chiles in October 1998 to complete the term of Matt Langley Bell, III who died in office; elected November 2000 with over 76 percent of the vote; reelected in 2004 and 2008 unopposed; elected November 2012 with 69 percent of the vote. Janet is the first female tax collector in Escambia County.
- Began career in public service with tax collector’s office in 1973 as a clerk typist and advanced professionally through promotions to office manager in 1991 until 1998.
- Florida Tax Collectors, Inc. – served as President (2005-2006). Other offices held: First Vice President; Second Vice President; Board of Directors; DHSMV Committee Chair; and Florida Tax Collectors Service Corporation Board of Directors.
- Former Board of Directors for Council on Aging of West Florida, Pensacola Five Flags Rotary, United Cerebral Palsy, Matt Bell Courage Scholarship Committee, YMCA, Starbase-Atlantis, and Escambia County Employees Credit Union
- Former Mistress of Ceremonies for Bill Hargreaves Fishing Rodeo
- Diamond Donor – United Way
- Outstanding Women in Business, Lifetime Achievement Award
- God in Government Award
- Two-time Paul Harris Fellow – Pensacola Five Flags Rotary
- Service Award – Pensacola Five Flags Rotary
- Executive of the Year – International Association of Admin. Professionals
- Outstanding Citizen – Pensacola Civitan Club
- Diamond Award Finalist, Outstanding Achievement-Elected Official – Women’s Business Center, Inc.
- Women of Distinction – Media Choice
- Best Under the Sun – Florida Sun
- Disability Summit Council Awards – United Cerebral Palsy and Pensacola Pen Wheels
- Florida’s Best – American Legion Post 33
- Outstanding Leadership – Florida Tax Collectors, Inc.
- Congressional Recognition – Congressman Jeff Miller
- Certificates of Merit (2) – Florida Tax Collectors, Inc.
- Patriot Award - Secretary of Defense
Office Innovations Under Ms. Holley’s Tenure
- The office has been streamlined to offer a one-stop concept. Each tax agent handles all services.
- Relocation and expansion of branch offices that offer the convenience of drive thru, after hours drop box, and improved parking.
- Took over driver license and ID card services from the State.
- Introduced fast title service.
- Implemented an appointment system, including online access.
- Expanded payment options by being the first tax collector in the state to offer payments by both debit and credit card and electronic check. Initiated payments by phone, in person, and online.
- Created a Peace of Mind program to help property owners remember to pay their taxes.
- Implemented a web site to provide information, statistics, electronic communication, and payment options for ease of access to public information 24 hours a day.
- Implemented an online tax certificate sale to reduce costs and promote greater access.
- Improved customer feedback by being responsive to comment cards.
- Created a call center to better serve citizens over the phone.
- Created a community awareness program for GetRealID.com.
- Implemented the Kids Tag Art Program in Escambia County to inspire fifth graders to design their own specialty plates as a learning tool for the students and to raise funds for the participating schools’ art programs.
Janet Holley and her tax collector team support many local and statewide charities, including:
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- Council on Aging of NW FL
- Donate Life
- Emerald Coast Honor Flight
- Epps Christian Center
- Esca-Rosa Coalition on Homeless
- Favor House
- Manna Food Pantries
- Ronald McDonald House
- Salvation Army
- United Cerebral Palsy
- United Way of Escambia County
- Waterfront Rescue Mission
- Wildlife Sanctuary of NW FL