About the Office
Janet Holley is responsible for the collection and distribution of a variety of taxes and fees. She is a constitutional officer and a fee officer; her office is funded by the fees earned for services provided. The tax collector’s office has a cash flow of $600 million. Janet Holley collects taxes for the District School Board, Board of County Commissioners, City of Pensacola, Town of Century, Sheriff, Downtown Improvement Board, Northwest Florida Water Management District, Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, and Department of Revenue.
The tax collector’s office issues registrations and titles for vehicles and vessels, sells hunting and fishing licenses and business tax receipts, collects real estate and tangible personal property taxes, and issues Going Out of Business Permits. Driver license services are available by appointment only; walk-in driver license services available at the Marcus Pointe location only from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
With an annual budget of $6 million, Janet Holley operates four offices conveniently located throughout the county with a staff of 103 full-time employees.
- Under Ms. Holley’s tenure, the office has been streamlined to offer a one-stop concept. Each tax agent handles all services…no more being sent from one station to another. (This practice has drastically reduced and almost eliminated wait times.)
- Relocation and expansion of branch offices that offer the convenience of drive thru, after hours drop box, and improved parking.
- Expanded tax collector services for citizens’ convenience by offering driver license services.
- Offered fast title service (leave with your title).
- Implemented the use of an appointment system.
- Expanded payment options by being the first tax collector in the state to offer payments by both debit and credit card and electronic check. Initiated payments by phone, in person, and online.
- Created a Peace of Mind program to help property owners remember to pay their taxes.
- Implemented a web site to provide information, statistics, electronic communication, and payment options for ease of access to public information 24 hours a day.
- Implemented an online tax certificate sale to reduce costs and promote greater access.
- Eliminated the mail fee and provided an envelope on tag renewals.
- Improved customer feedback by being responsive to comment cards.
- Became Escambia County Tax Collector in October 1998 – appointed by Governor Lawton Chiles to complete the term of Matt Langley Bell, III who died in office. Elected in November 2000 with over 76 percent of the vote; reelected in 2004 & 2008 unopposed. Janet Holley is Escambia County’s first woman tax collector.
- Began career in public service with the tax collector’s office in 1973 as clerk typist and advanced professionally through promotions to office manager in 1991 until 1998.
- Ms. Holley is a Certified Florida Collector and holds a Florida real estate salesperson license. She attended Florida State University from 1969 until 1971.
Professional and Civic Affiliations
- Florida Tax Collectors, Inc.:
- President – 2005-2006
- First Vice President – 2004-2005
- Second Vice President – 2003-2004
- DHSMV Committee Chair – 2001-2005
- Board of Directors – 2000-2007
- Florida Tax Collectors Service Corporation Board of Directors, 2000-2007
- Board of Directors, Council on Aging of West Florida
- Pensacola Five Flags Rotary Member and Former Board Member
- Impact 100 Member
- Former Board of Directors, Matt Bell Courage Scholarship, Inc., United Cerebral Palsy, YMCA, and Starbase-Atlantis
Professional and Civic Recognition
- Outstanding Women in Business, Lifetime Achievement Award – 2008
- God in Government Award – 2005
- Paul Harris Fellow – Pensacola Five Flags Rotary – 2004
- Service Award – Pensacola Five Flags Rotary – 2004
- Executive of the Year – International Association of Administrative Professionals – 2002
- Outstanding Citizen – Pensacola Civitan Club – 2001
- Diamond Award Finalist, Outstanding Achievement-Elected Official – Women’s Business Center, Inc. – 2003
- Women of Distinction – Media Choice – 2000
- Best Under the Sun – Florida Sun – 2000
- Disability Summit Council Award – United Cerebral Palsy – 2000
- Florida’s Best – American Legion Post 33 – 1999
- Outstanding Leadership – Florida Tax Collectors, Inc. – 1998